Thursday, May 31, 2012

Lesson Plan: Arranging/Composing on the iPad with Garageband

We are finishing up music theory class and I am taking "great songs" and breaking them down a bit.

I wrote out the theme/ostinato for Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor for the class. We practiced playing the theme.  We listened to the entire piece, using the iPad to play the ostinato along with the recording.

Today we took the theme and I asked them to recompose the melody over an 8 bar blues structure.  First I played them an example that I put together.

The students then took garageband and made 8 bar versions.  We had some students plug their guitars in the iPad, some do multi-track recording on the piano, and some use the set patterns embedded in the program.  We had some really good versions.

I like this assignment because they have to connect listening with performing and with composing.  I am seeing big progress in their work.  I think they are starting to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment